Mahadi Shehu and Masari Admin at A Crossroad – By Aliyu Ibrahim
When the Katsina State People’s Forum met over the weekend and requested the Katsina state administration to investigate the allegations of corruption against its officials by Mahadi Shehu.
That was after Dr. Usman Bugaje and some eminent Katsinawas had made the same request. I held my breath as it has dawned on those in government that the allegations they have ignored are taken seriously by people that matter in the state and had no choice but to go on the offensive.
A few days back, the administration made its move , according to its Commissioner of Information, the admin had filed a complaint to the police against Mahadi Shehu alleging that he has forged govt documents. Consequently, those close to the admin claimed he has gone underground to evade police arrest. While attempting to use the police to arrest him might be an option for the admin to silence him, here is why I think it could end up as another faux pas.
1. It should have explored the forgery option when he posted the first video not after uploading more than 80 videos. In one of the videos he alleged that the government was destroying many incriminating documents. The admin’s failure to act earlier supports this assertion.
2. Mahadi Shehu has dared the admin to sue him repeatedly, a few Commissioners publicly promised fire and brimstone. Till this day mum is the word.
3. As we are not under a military dictatorship, a simple invitation from the police would have been better, rather than orchestrating a commando like team to go down to Kaduna and arrest him (If Mahadi and the Admin’s spin doctors are to be believed) in the alternative, they should have filed the complaint in Kaduna. If Mahadi is arrested and brought down to Katsina as things stand today…woe onto him.
4. The state admin has failed to establish that it is innocent of the charges against it, for e.g the allegation of withdrawing 500,000,000 to support the APC convention, it has failed to respond to it.
5. As a democratic elected government, resorting to police action is not always a good idea, remember the LADO/SHEMA episode. The arrest of Yakubu Lado which was perceived to have been facilitated by Shema almost gifted him the gubernatorial election in 2011. I hope this admin should learn from that experience.
As the battle line has been drawn, should the admin fail to have Mahadi prosecuted and convicted, its image will take a big hit and historians will be merciless to it. Time will surely tell who is on the side of the people.
By – Aliyu Ibrahim