Masari’s awards and likely impact on Katsina guber polls
12 prestigious awards gotten by Governor Masari from 2015 to date
Katsina State governor, Aminu Masari, seems synonymous with prestigious awards for his outstanding performance since he got the people’s mandate to lead them in 2015. In this piece, Hamisu Sabo recalls some of these awards and its likely effect as 2019 guber polls draw near.
1. The convocation ceremony of Al-hikima University in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital during which Governor Aminu Bello Masari was conferred with an award of an honorary doctorate degree in political science and public administration.
2. In 2016 the governor got the Georgia Legislative Black Caucus award, which placed him on the comity of Africa Leadership Hall of Fame. The prestigious award was presented to him in Nigeria by Honourable Dawkins Haigler of the United State of America.
3. Still in 2016, Governor Masari got another feather to his cap this time from one of Nigeria’s vocal national daily- The Sun Newspaper- which nominated him for its prestigious award of “Courage in leadership”. The conferment took place in Lagos at an collaborate ceremony. Also, within the year, a Lagos based NGO “Media Search for Accountability” bestowed on the hard working governor the award of the ‘Most visible state in the media for 2016”.
4. This was followed by another award by the Association of Northern Nigerian Students-led by its National President, Hamza Mohammed Haruna. The award, according to the group, was recognition of the Governor’s giant strides in the provision of infrastructural development in the education sector in addition to ensuring that these facilities are accessed by the people.
5. In addition, the Nigeria Medical Association in 2017 deemed it necessary to bestow on Governor Masari the Distinguished 2017 Service Award of Medical Association” in recognition of his varying contributions to development of the health sector.
6. And sometimes in 2017 also, the Nigeria Institute for Legislative Studies – NILS Abuja at its third matriculation event recognized and acknowledged Governor Masari’s immense contribution to ensuring effective legislation first as Speaker of the House of Representatives and then as active supporter of the Katsina State House of Assembly which has allowed for cordial relationship between the Executive arm and the legislative arm of government.
7. Similar award also came the governor’s way still in Abuja and this time from the Prestigious Institute for Security Studies Usama, Abuja.
8. Equally, the National Defence College Abuja recognized the Governor for presenting a paper to some course participants at the college sometimes in 2017.
9. Still the Muslim Lawyers Association of Nigeria – MULAN during its National Executive committee meeting in Katsina acknowledged the governor’s input to the advancement of the legal profession.
10. He also bagged the 2018 Zik award from the Prestigious Zik Foundation an award traditionally given to distinguished Africans for excelling in various fields of human endeavours. The award ceremony drew large gathering in Lagos on account of its place in the political history of Nigeria.
On the home front, the awards and honours given to the governor for sundry reasons are too numerous for each to a have place in this write up.
11. That of the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria SWAN in recognition of his commitment to the development of sports in Katsina state since he assumed office. Notably without his support Katsina United would probably have no further mention in the annals of Nigerian football, but it is waxing stronger in the domestic league and narrowly missed the FA Cup final.
12. Similarly in view of the growth and development of trade and commerce, the traders as well as similar groups and associations alike have equally honour the ebullient Governor.