Update: Death toll rose to 58 as 1,476 persons got displaced in Jibia flood
The death toll from the flood that ravaged 10 villages in Jibia Local Government Area of Katsina State on Sunday has risen to 58 as more corpses were said to have been discovered Tuesday from demolished structures and water channels within the affected communities, ThisDay reports.
The Executive Secretary of the State Emergency Agency (SEMA), Dr Aminu Waziri, who disclosed this to THISDAY, said more corpses that were washed away by the flood to neighbouring villages of Mada Runfa and Kuntumi in Niger Republic had been recovered and brought home for burial.
He said: “We buried more than 27 bodies and more are being uncovered from collapsed structures. My officers in collaboration with villagers are on search and rescue mission to uncover the bodies of the victims.
“We have resettled some people at make shift camps in schools and government is supplying food items and medicals to the affected persons who survived the ungodly incident.”
Meanwhile, no fewer than 1,476 internally displaced persons (IDPs) have been registered at the makeshift camp temporarily housing the Jibia flood victims.
Waziri, who confirmed this to THISDAY in a telephone chat Tuesday night, said the Mohamadu Rabiu Model Primary School, Jibia is serving as the IDPs camp.